2008년 8월 14일 목요일

Calling to my friends.

I called three of my Korean friends, who live in Korea, on different days. One of them answered my phone in low spirit, but I felt like to do mischief, so I pretended like a card company staff. I asked him to pay 300,000 won for card commission. His voice was not good. He said, “I don’t know who you are, but please stop doing mischief.” I laughed, “Hey! It’s me! Dong-Hyun! Sorry HaHa! What are you doing, now?” He sighed “I’m shaving my hair.” I was surprised. Yes, many of my friends are taking military services. When I called him, he was waiting for that. I couldn’t say anything. We talked for about 30 minutes. I said, “Don’t worry, you will do well”, but he asked me when I would take a military service. I answered after graduating a university. He said that it might be problems because younger people could be a higher grade; also, they wouldn’t use polite expression to me. (Korean people have specific expression for older people.) “Yes, but everything’s going to be OK. Anyway take care”, I said; and then, we hung up.
After few days later, I called to one of others. I did mischief again; his voice was also not good. He was taking a train to go to a barrack. He said that he would hang up the phone very early because he would arrive there soon and asked me when I would take a military service. I answered the same. He said the exactly same thing about polite expression. Then, he hung up the phone.
After few days again, I called to last one. He was at home, but after 3 minutes he started to talk about military service. He said he wouldn’t take that because he got much fat, so his weight was 110 kg, so he would work in a ward office, instead. Then, he asked me when I would take a military service. I got angry because I felt that he was making fun of me. He won’t take a military service, but he asked me when I will.
I don’t want to take that, but many people say every body takes it, so I can overcome. It doesn’t make sense to me that every body does, so I have to. However, if I don’t go, nobody will want to. Then, who is going to do it? I will learn how to take care of people and how to cope with a dramatic event; on the other hand, I will learn how to kill people. However, I have no choice. Maybe, I might find some fun in there, and I might have good memories in there. I hope.

댓글 1개:

Don :

If it has to be done, and everyone does it, then I guess you will have to also. To me, the biggest problem with military service would be if some people could get away with not doing it. After all, you lose some time in your life, time you could be using to start building a career, etc. That's o.k. if everyone understands -- and in Korea I guess they do!