2008년 8월 8일 금요일

Discussion about "FOOD"

Student Led discussion

Should we prohibit pet-eating? (Dog or cat)

I have been in this discussion because dog soup is one of Korean food. Not every Korean eats dogs, but we do not have right to stop them to eat dogs; also, what is the definition of “PET”? That is no definition. Some people might think cow is their pet, but they do not have right to boycott beef. Some people might think pig is their pet, but they do not have right to boycott as well. Actually, Indian people do not eat cow because of their religion, but they cannot forbid beef-eating. Just like this, some people might think dog is just “FOOD”. They do not think that is family or something; in addition, they do not eat pet. They grow their own edible dogs. I told them that.

However, they did not seem to understand me because they still think dogs are friends, but I can understand them because I do not eat dogs as well. How I understand the people who eat dogs is that I have seen some people who eat dogs. They are usually my friends or relatives. (My father likes that, too.) I think if they met many dog-eaters and talked with them, they would understand, but there was one thing which made me crazy.

One of them asked me how to cook dog soup. He just made fun of me. I tried to keep calm, but it was little hard. Finally, I got upset; and then, I started to speak little louder and became restless. There were many Muslim people, so I gave an example of pork. They do not eat pigs because of religion, but you do not have right to forbid people to eat pigs. They got little upset, they started to criticize me. It was my fault. And then, we voted for the topic. Most of us agree to forbid people to eat dogs.


I do not know how to discuss well, and how to deal with people who criticize me. I should have been patient and calm. I think that is the best way to discuss.

By the way, what do you think about dog or cat food? If you had a chance, would you try it?

댓글 1개:

Don :

It sounds to me like you were being reasonable enough. I guess to a lot of people it seems kind of shocking that some people would eat dog. But that doesn't mean they have the right to make fun of it that way.

Still, as you have seen, it doesn't necessarily help if you try to find an example of something that would make them feel the same way . . .